The practitioner should also adopt high standards of personal image to avoid cross infection at all times:
- Always wash hands, preferably with an antibacterial soap prior to the treatment and ensure nails are clean
- Long hair should be tied back
- Take regular showers
- Prevent body odour by using deodorant
- Clean teeth twice a day and have regular dental checks
- Avoid eating heavily spiced foods before each treatment
- Keep fingernails short and don’t wear polish.
- Wear minimal make up and no jewellery
- Don’t use strongly fragranced perfumes.
- Wash hands with anti-bacterial soap between each treatment.
Consultation procedures should screen out the majority of problems, however do not rely on the client’s word and make your own visual and verbal check. The following steps can be taken to avoid cross infection:
- Provide washing facilities and hand wash for the clients to use before and after treatment.
- Avoid working over any obvious skin abrasions.
- Try to avoid breathing over a client or allow them to breathe over you during the treatment.